By Nick Flaherty www.flaherty.co.uk
Broadcom has launched the industry's first 40nm single chip monolithic Powerline Communications (PLC) SoC that is HomePlug AV 1.1 certified and IEEE 1901 compliant. Using existing residential electrical wiring to create a home network, Broadcom's BCM60321 Powerline Networking SoC enables increased in-home network coverage for easier plug-n-play connections.
"The worldwide market has demanded multiple home networking standards for a high performance and easy-to-use network. Powerline Networking offers key advantages including the availability of electric outlets throughout the home, driving increased network coverage and an easier plug-n-play consumer experience," said Jason Blackwell, Digital Home Practice Director, ABI Research.
- High Levels of Integration: combining analogue and digital front end with line driver, modem and memory in small 9mm 76 pin QFN style package for a true single chip PLC solution.
- HomePlug AV 1.1 and IEEE 1901 compliant: resides on 200Mbs physical layer for 200Mbit/s powerline networks.
- Small Form Factor: entire PLC modem design size of 51mm x 38mm is possible.
- Low Power Consumption: modems consume less than 2.5 Watts of power when "on" and less than 0.5W on "standby."
- Intelligent Switching: provides repeating, channel bonding, failover and load balancing for layer-2 in multi-mode home networks.
- Fully Managed Network Functionality; supports remote network management and diagnostics for ISP deployments.